New blog, who dis?
It's been so long since this section has been live - but it's back up and running! I'm so excited to be finally getting my blog set up since we just finished our rebrand! With all of the changes that have happened, I wanted to start fresh with my blog and really show you all that I am truly focusing on now. Over the past few years of being in business, I've learned so much and have changed drastically. Obviously not every change will fit into one post, there will be many about everything that's been going on. If you've been here from the start, THANK YOU for your endless support, it means the world to me! For anyone reading that's new to Canvas & Kale, welcome! I'm so excited to share my little world with you!
Since our rebrand, I figured an intro would be good to start with! So here's a few things about me that you may not know!
1. My name is Jess, I live in Boston, MA and am totally obsessed with this little city! I am originally from a small town in Connecticut, I still visit regularly, but I couldn't be happier with my decision to move and start my life somewhere on my own! I originally moved to Boston when my older sister convinced me to move in with her after I graduated from college. I was fresh out of school, no job lined up, didn't know what I wanted to do, had a little savings, and lived on her couch for 3 months. HELL YES to an adventure, HELL NO to living on a couch ever again!
2. I am a self-taught calligrapher, I've been in business for about four years now and love everything about the calligraphy world! I also started working with my favorite fellow girl bosses, Meg & Julie, from Sip & Script, and it's completely changed my life! We teach modern calligraphy across different cities! Check us out!
3. Before jumping into this whole calligraphy thing and starting my business, I was an elementary school teacher. I have my master's in Literacy and Language, from Boston University, and my undergrad from Southern Connecticut State University!
4. I'm engaged to the sweetest man in the world! He's my biggest supporter and the one who really pushed me to start Canvas & Kale. Greatest future baby daddy eva!
5. Brian (my fiancé) and I have a fur-baby, Berkeley-Kale. We are NOT cat people, but we are Berkeley-Kale people! My uncle found Berkeley, along with his mom and siblings, in the back of his old Camaro and took care of them until they were old enough to be adopted! I saw Berkeley and fell in love immediately! He's literally the light of my life, the OG assistant of Canvas & Kale, and despite not really being a cat person, I've totally turned into a crazy cat lady because of him. Brian and I named him Berkeley after the first home we rented together in Boston, and the Kale part, obv for my plant-loving self.
6. I'm obsessed with living a natural and healthy lifestyle, although I hate labels around health and wellness. People always ask what I consider myself (vegetarian, vegan...etc.) but I like to say that I live a plant-based lifestyle. I don't like to label myself, or limit myself, I just listen to my own body and figure out what works and what doesn't! I was never a big meat eater, dairy grosses me out personally, so making the switch was very natural and made me feel hella good!
7. I love tea, and I'm in a love-hate relationship with coffee. I have stomach issues and can't tolerate too much coffee, despite how much I love it. So I made the switch to tea a while back and have become slightly obsessed with it! My favorite teas are Numi, Rishi, Traditional Medicinals, and Paromi! I also am obsessed with kombucha, Health-Ade pomegranate is my go-to!
8. My favorite thing to do in boston during the summer is go to SOWA. I love farmer's markets, I could literally spend all day there looking at local goods!
9. I've always been into fitness, however, since leaving my "real" job (more on that later...) I've become obsessed with yoga. Jessica Olie and Jordan Younger are my idols! If you haven't heard of them, check em out! Also, Jordan has an AMAZING podcast, The Balanced Blonde - it's filled with SO much love and goodness!
10. I'm extremely close with my family and friends. I talk to my parents probably 3 (or more..) times a day, I have an older sister who I adore (most of the time..insert wink face here) and my best friends are the girls I grew up with. We've been friends for 15-20 years and they're the most amazing humans in the world!
With this blog, I obviously want to highlight calligraphy and running a calligraphy business, but I also want to have a space to talk about things outside of my day job - like health, wellness, food, my lifestyle...etc. So if you've managed to read all the way to the bottom of this post, thank you! I can't wait for you to see everything we have going on here!
I'D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU! LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW!